Your Family Will Love Tasty Summer Slushies, and You Will Love How Easy They Are!
What Is a Slushie?
Remember when you were a kid and a treat for you was when your parents allowed you to get an ICEE? Coke flavored, blueberry flavored, or even cherry. Then, you also figured out that you could mix two flavors, such as cherry and coke, to get a whole new tingle for your tastebuds? Those delicious ICEE treats were the slushies that made “slushie” so recognizable.
Now, you can easily make your own using whatever flavors you want to add to it. All you need is a little flavoring, a machine that can crush up your ice, and a desire to cool off on those hottest summer days. However, these chilling treats are also great throughout the winter, spring, and fall if you are looking for a way to put a smile on everyone’s face. As a bonus, they are easier to make than you may believe!
How to Make Slushies: Homemade Recipe & with Blender
Our Favorite Homemade Slushie Recipe
If you want to make a slushie, but you do not have a blender, you have plenty of options. You can freeze your favorite soda flavors, juices, or Kool-Aid mixtures and in a few hours, you will have anything semi-frozen. You can also make a slushie using soda or Kool-Aid in about 10-15 minutes using this homemade slushie recipe.
What You Need:
- Soda, Kool-Aid, or Juice
- Ice Cubes
- Table Salt or Rock Salt
- 1-pt Size Ziploc Bag
- 1-gal Size Ziploc Bag
- Step 1. Add your drink/flavor to the smallest Ziploc bag and remove all the air that you can from it.
- Step 2. In the larger bag, add ice cubes and a fair amount of salt.
- Step 3. Put the smaller bag inside and seal the larger one, removing excess air.
- Step 4. Hold the bag with a towel and shake it around for up to 10-minutes or until it reaches a good slushie consistency.
Best Tips for Slushie Making
One thing we like about this homemade slushie recipe is that even kids can make slushies by simply shaking around a bag. It is relatively quick to do, and the flavor combinations you can come up with will be unending. However, to make it easier for you or your kids, you may want to consider these tips.
- The more salt and ice you add, the faster it will slush the beverage inside the bag.
- This is designed for making small amounts at one time. If several people want a slushie, rather than fill the small bag with more liquid, give each person a bag, salt, and ice to have them make their own.
- When using Kool-Aid mix, you can use just powder, but you will need to use the kind with sugar added already or add your own. For some people, it may be easier to just make the flavor that everyone wants.
- If you prefer not to mix just a little at a time, and you have a machine available, you can always use an ice cream maker. Ice cream makers have a canister for the liquid and spin automatically within the salt and ice, freezing whatever is inside to a slushie consistency.
How to Make Slushies with a Blender
If you have a blender, you will quickly discover that it is not only easier but that it opens the door to many new and exciting flavor combinations. With a blender, you can bust up ice cubes to mix with your favorite soda or Kool-Aid flavors, add fresh frozen fruits, and more. The sky really becomes the limit. We are here to help you get started.
What You Need:
- Fresh Fruit, Juices, or Kool-Aid Flavors
- Ice Cubes (optional)
- Your Blender
Once you have an idea and the ingredients you need, you simply add them to your blender. Mix until everything is the homemade slushie consistency that you want. It is very easy to do. In most cases, you will not need to add more sugars or anything of that nature to the mixture.
Tips for Successful Slushie Making
Learning how to make slushies is very easy. Your tastebuds will be your biggest guide. If you like bananas and strawberries, mix them together. If you enjoy orange juice mixed with pineapple, give it a try. The key to slushie making is to keep everything chilled. Some of the best tips we can offer includes:
1.Freeze What You Can
If using fresh berries or bananas or other fruits, freeze them for just a couple of hours. This will allow you to use them as ice cubes, which means you will not have watered down flavors.
2. Adding Ice
Ice should be the last thing that you put into your blender. The fresh or frozen fruits should be first. The liquids can be added second. The ice should be added last. You may also consider adding just a little ice to start and then adding more as you get closer to finished. This way you use only the ice that you need.
We cannot say this enough. Part of the excitement of making homemade slushies with a blender is that you can create anything you want! There are many types of juices available if you don’t want to use fresh fruit. There are also many soda flavors that you can experiment with as well as Kool-Aid. If it is a fun flavor that you enjoy, we feel that you can give it a try in slushie form. You might also like to try alcoholic slushie recipes.
There are many ways for you to learn how to make slushies and many different recipe combinations for you to try. Our hope is that we have shown you how simple it is so that you can begin making your own tasty slushie drinks this summer, or any other time that you want something fun.
Ah Ching is a young PR and Outreach Specialist. Ah Ching is passionate about espresso, cooking, coffee, and loves sharing her passion for cooking and juicing with others. In her spare time, she loves dancing, reading, travel, and watch movies. Read more.
- What Is a Slushie?
- How to Make Slushies: Homemade Recipe & with Blender